The National Forum on Research Integrity has its origins in the publication of the National Policy Statement on Ensuring Research Integrity in Ireland. It was established in June 2015 with representation from research performing organisations, research funders and other stakeholders to ensure continual development and adoption of good practice towards a strengthened approach to ensuring research integrity in Ireland. The Forum is coordinated by the Technological Higher Education Association and the Irish Universities Association and is chaired by Professor Anita Maguire, Vice President for Research & Innovation at University College Cork (UCC). The Deputy Chair is Dr. Jennifer Brennan from the Technological Higher Education Association. The membership of the Forum includes representatives from the Institutes of Technology and TU Dublin.
Key responsibilities of the National Forum:
- To support the implementation of research integrity policies and processes in a harmonised manner across the research performers;
- To support national research funders in implementing harmonised research integrity statements in grant conditions and associated audit processes;
- To agree a process and format for the public dissemination of the outcome of research integrity investigations having regard to existing regulations relating to misconduct and discipline in the research-performing organisations, and the Terms and Conditions of grants awarded by the research funding organisations;
- To support the development and roll-out of research integrity training programmes for staff and students in the research performers;
- To monitor international developments and policy in the area of research integrity, and making appropriate recommendations for adjustments in research integrity policy and practice in Ireland;
- To communicate the importance of research integrity to the Irish research community and to the general public.
More information on the members and role of the Forum can be found at http://www.iua.ie/research-innovation/research-integrity/